Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Dandelion Wish


This is the actual dandelion I picked.


Dear Diary, 


I have been really frustrated lately with some of the parents I work with. As a counselor, I am the child's voice and advocate, and at times I feel as though I can't get through to the parents on the impact they have. I certainly don't have a magic wand to make it all better for these children all the time...but I know when they are in my office- for that short period of time- they can forget their problems and just play.


Play is such a powerful tool... a healing tool... and sadly,  it seems as though adults forget what it is like to be a kid, and furthermore, what it is like to let go and play. So, I woke up one morning with the idea for this blog.  (It will eventually replace my counseling blog) I call it the "The Dandelion Wish."


Here is the first post of The Dandelion Wish: 

"I am sitting with my laptop typing softly  (my son is still asleep) as I ponder the month of May and the celebration of mothers… It has been just under a year and a half since I became a Mother. And needless to say, the definition of that word has humbled me far more than any other titles I have or will ever have.

I feel as my life began the day my son was born. Unfortunately,  my love for this little boy doesn’t always guarantee days of blissful moments. Some days I have superhero mom powers and I have a fabulous fun day with my son- no distractions or time constraints... I love those days. But sadly other days...well let’s just say I feel more like the villain then the superhero. Usually these days are filled with house chores, meals to cook, task list to check off, church callings to attend, work to do, and other random mundane things I fill the day with. *Sigh*

Today, after spending the entire morning yesterday cleaning the kitchen and realizing the day was passing us by, I decided we needed to go for a walk. So we did. As we approached a patch of dandelions, I was unable to resist-  I picked one and I took a deep breath and blew. Watching the little dandelion seeds float across the sky, I decided to make a dandelion wish.

My wish is to be able to look back on each day and be able to say, "We had a lot of fun today."

So, I begin this blog today as a way to share my journey of The Dandelion Wish I made. I hope to inspire other moms, dads, grandparents, sister, brothers, aunts, and uncles to take the time and to wish one a dandelion and bring fun and play back into parenting and adulthood while savoring each and every moment along the way. "


Become a more present and playful parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, sister, brother, person...follow me here


Besitos, xoxoxo


A Playful Mama 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my wish today is to listen to our loves ones with our minds, hearts and souls even if it just for a little bit of time.
Mari